- FindMyPast discount: Get 20% off the price of any 12 month subscription at FindMyPast. Offer ends Sat. 27 Feb 2016 (23:59 GMT). Please note that unlimited free access to the 1939 Register for England and Wales is only included in 12 month World subscriptions or Britain subscriptions. If you are not familiar with FindMyPast, read 'Why I Use and Recommend FindMyPast'.
- Webpages: My 'Wednesday's Webpage for Genealogy' series is now underway. It gives you a sneak peek into records that many people have never used.
- Recent deaths: If you're looking for recent death notices in Australia, check the Ryerson Index and the archived messages from the AUS-Newspaper-Extracts Mailing List at Rootsweb (but the mailing list is currently unavailable).
- Family history at the State Library: Family history seminars at the State Library of Queensland are free, but you need to book.
- Weddings: Life lessons from the altar - strange things that happen at weddings.
- Finding images: Do you waste time searching your computer for all photos of a specific person or place? It's much easier if you follow the advice in Updating Metadata for Digital Photos: Keeping It Simple. The programme it describes (Irfanview) is free, and I love it.
- London maps: Have a look at the high resolution scans of Ordnance Survey maps of London (1893-1896). At 60-inches-to-the-mile, the detail is astounding.
- Lookup offers: Note this warning about genealogy 'lookup' offers.
- Historical background: A Short History of the Football Boot
(This post first appeared on http://updatesgenie.blogspot.com/2016/02/no39-genealogy-news-and-discounts.html.)
~ ~ ~