|Examples of letter S (image:Wikipedia)|
- German handwriting: Ten Tips for Deciphering Old German Handwriting.
- Discount: Until midnight Sat. 28 May 2016, get 20% off any new 12 month World subscription at Findmypast. Untick 'auto-renew' in the MyAccount section of the site. A full list of records available on FindMyPast is at http://bit.ly/2worldlist.
- English & Scottish research: 'Lost in English and Scottish Research' is a Society of Australian Genealogists webinar. Listen live on the weekend of 18/19 Jun 2016, or listen to the recordings after the event. See the full programme.
- Cheaper copies: For many of the State Archives records that I've indexed (including old age pension records), I've reduced my fee for supplying copies of the original documents. I've also changed the wording on some Web pages to make it easier to see how to order copies.
- Northern Territory: Looking for wills? Try the Northern Territory probate index 1911-1994.
- Google Books: There are interesting family history examples in Google Books (52 Weeks to Better Genealogy) and Google Books Finds: Including an Article with Four Photos.
- Epidemics: The epidemics timeline may explain some deaths in your family tree.
- Lookups: The Legal Genealogist sets us straight on the issue of genealogy lookup requests.
- When you're gone: Amy Johnson Crow describes 5 ways to preserve your genealogy research.
- Indigence cases: A new index on the Qld State Archives Web site is Indigence Cases 1899-1948. Many Chinese, Islanders etc are included.
(This post first appeared on http://updatesgenie.blogspot.com/2016/05/no42-genealogy-news-and-discounts.html.)
~ ~ ~