Links open in new windows so you won't lose your place on this page. If you share these tips, please acknowledge the source as http://updatesgenie.blogspot.com.
- History and Genealogy Expo in Brisbane: Mon. 25th to Wed. 27th June 2012, including Monday evening. Special presenters include Audrey Collins from The National Archives in the UK. I will be there as an exhibitor and presenter. My talk will be 'Black Sheep and Vanishing Relatives'. You can now get more details and book tickets.
- England & Wales: Changes to certificate prices.
- The British in India: A new book, Tracing Your British Indian Ancestors, looks at British Indian history and sources for research (British Library India Office Records, The National Archives, records of the armed forces, civil service and railways, religious and probate records, etc).
- Paintings: Are there paintings of your ancestors or places where they lived? At Your Paintings, search by artist's surname or what's in the paintings.
- Dutch Genealogy: Genealogy advice from an archivist at the Dutch National Archives. Articles include 'English versions of Dutch first names and last names'.
- Genealogists for Families: Wondering whether to join 'Genealogists for Families'? Right now (for a limited time) you can join Kiva with a 'free trial loan' to see how it all works.
- Family history talks in Townsville & Cairns: On 28 Apr 2012 I am giving two Family History talks in Townsville ('Black Sheep and Vanishing Relatives' and 'Using Indexes: Tips and Traps'). On 3 May I am speaking in Cairns ('Who else is Researching Your Family?' and 'Black Sheep and Vanishing Relatives'). Attendance is free, but seats are limited so you need to book by contacting the libraries.
- 'Recommended Reading etc. (Reader GeneaMeme)': My recommendations for books for family history and recreational reading.
- Next week I am travelling to South Australia to attend the 13th Australasian Congress on Genealogy and Heraldry in Adelaide.